Thursday, May 27, 2010

How we make Dirt!






We have taken Red Wigglers from the bait shop. I've been feeding them vegan kitchen waste. All of our Vegetable and fruit cuttings. Also things that have spoiled in the fridge we seal in an airtight container. The microbial breakdown of this produce make excellent worm food. I mix this with shredded cardboard soaked in water. This is called bedding. I feed the worms about 3 pounds of waste from our kitchen a week. I stated this project Earth day weekend. In less than a months time. These worms have doubled and tripled in size and are reproducing. This project has big rewards. I've already removed potfuls of beautiful moist black worm dirt 'castings.' Its organic potent plant food at its best. More pictures to come. I've also collected 16 oz of 'worm tea' This is liquid worm casting that collects in a separate bin underneath the tub where i'm feeding my worms. I'm putting this in a spray bottle giving our garden tons of vitamins without risk of burning our plants or adding any synthetic chemicals to our edible garden varities. Vermicomposting has been alot of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 
Blog Design by TLillian.com Tiffany Richards